City of Newton Finance Committee met August 13.
City of Newton Finance Committee met Aug. 13.
Here is the minutes provided by the Committee:
Present: Amber Volk, Eric Blake, Robert Reisner, Rosetta M. York, Mark Bolander, John Stone, Marlene Harris, Raymond Reynolds, Tyler Weber, Melissa Brooks, Larry D. Brooks, Brent Benefiel, Lincoln Duncan & Steve Rubsam
• Jake Griggs from Bluestem Energy Solutions gave a presentation on alternative wind, solar and storage energy for the city. Initially, electrical energy could be provided to municipal buildings by one or more of these means. Bluestem offered to do a feasibility study at no cost to the city. The committee expressed concerns and conflict with existing contract with Vistra Energy for electricity and support for their power generating plant in the county. Committee agreed to a study to assist in long range planning for the city pending review by the city attorney.
• Raymond gave estimates of $17,775 for a natural gas/LP gas generator for 911 and city hall, $63,550 for a water well portable generator and $2249.99 for a portable water tower generator. Committee recommended purchase of portables. Estimates are over 30 days and Raymond will check to see if prices are still accurate. City Hall generator has issues but not in immediate need of replacement and 911 funds may be available when replaced.
• Bret gave estimate of $45,000 for a portable transfer pump for the lift stations. Bret will monitor for possible price reduction later in the year.
• Committee agreed to recommend a TIF request for $2500 from Warehouse Antiques to clean, tuckpoint and seal west side of building at 113 W. Jourdan. Also, recommended $2500 TIF request for upstairs remodeling for exercising at Newton Elite Fitness, 120 W. Washington St.
• Melissa explained the city's TIF obligations.
• Discussed a city/county intergovernmental agreement for sheriff/police/city hall building.
• Discussed upgrading phone system at City Hall. System is outdated and parts no longer available. Estimated cost $6800. More information will be available at a later date.
• Discussed renovation of City Hall.
• Tyler gave quote of $37,984 for new Water Dept. truck from McClane Motors.
Estimates on a truck bed to follow at later date. A truck is already allocated in the department 5-year plan.
Adjourned 8:45 PM