North Clay Community Unit School District 25 Board of Education met December 20.
Here is the minutes provided by the Board:
The North Clay Community Unit #25 Board of Education met in regular session on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 6:30 P.M. in the North Clay Unit Office.
President Chris Bible called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
President Bible opened the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance and Jenny McKinney led the prayer.
Roll Call was taken with the following members present: Chris Bible, Jenny McKinney, Tony Smith, Debra Wilbanks, Barry Adair, Jonathan Carroll and Anthony Dawkins. No members were absent.
Others present were: Superintendent, Monty Aldrich, Principals, Jessica Guzman and Keith Price, Assistant Principal/A.D, Brian Deadman, Special Education Coordinator, Jody Aldrich, and Recording Secretary Tina Gaddy.
Public Hearing on the proposed tax levy - Chris Rinehart was present and asked what the tax rate was on the potential levy. Supt. Aldrich answered the question and no further questions were asked.
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by Wilbanks to adopt the agenda. Ayes: Dawkins, Adair, Wilbanks, Smith, Carroll, McKinney and Bible. Nays: None. Motion carried.
Board member Adair then asked when an agenda item could be added and said he had two items with one involving a social media item involving possible students and another being discipline of an administrator. Supt. Aldrich responded by stating that each would be a closed session item and that no addition would be needed.
A motion was made by Smith, seconded by Wilbanks, to adopt the consent agenda. Ayes: Adair, Carroll, Dawkins, Bible, McKinney, Wilbanks and Smith. Nays: None. Motion carried.
a. Approval of minutes
b. Place the treasurer's report for December 2017 on file
c. Approve all sick leave and personal leave requests presented plus board bills covered by checks #48748 through #48834 were in the following amounts: Educational Fund: $188,152.66; Building Fund: $14,384.10; Bond and Interest Fund: $284,830.00; Transportation Fund: $22,995.63; IMRF/SS Fund: $20,222.28; plus the November payroll of $313,522.30 less deductions of $82,606.60 making a total of $761,500.37.
Public Comments - Bryan West, District Transportation Director, was present to share a gift given by a bus driver and to praise the bus driver team. No other public comments
Grade School Positive News:
• Thank you to the North Clay PTO for hosting Santa Shoppe again this year. Santa Shoppe allows Pre-K through Grade 8 students an opportunity to buy gifts for their families and have them wrapped here at school so they can give gifts to those close to them.
• NC Faculty had a School Improvement Day on Wednesday, December 6 in which teachers were able to visit Richland County Schools or South Central Schools. This allowed teachers the opportunity to see the inner workings of other schools and a chance to collaborate with other educators.
• Congratulations to Ms. Majors and NC Elementary students and Jr. High Band/Choir students on a successful Christmas Music Program! NC students along with Music Teacher & Band/Choir Director, Ms. Majors, Fifth Grade Teachers, Mrs. Jones and Mrs. McMahon and numerous faculty and staff members worked together to make this program great! A huge thanks to everyone for the team work that allowed our students an opportunity to shine!
High School Positive News:
• The NCHS Food class held their annual Bread Week from December 4 through the 8th. Mrs. Kemmerer's class set a new record by baking over 800 loaves of bread. Proceed benefited the food program.
• Senior Audrey Fleener was named the November 2017 NCHS student of the month.
• Madison Healy was selected as an Illinois State Scholar.
• NCHS Homecoming Activities took place the week of November 27. Dress up days included America Day and Decades Day. Classes also competed in a locker decorating contest. The week concluded with an assembly that included games and recognizing basketball teams and the cheerleaders. The Homecoming basketball game was also a lot of fun and including the Pep Band from both Clay City High School and North Clay High School.
• All NCHS PE classes with Mr. Wattles and Mr. Kueker took part in mandated CPR training during the week of December 4.
• Wes Cammon has been a guest in AG classes over the past couple weeks demonstrating welding for our students. Our students have not only been learning the ins and outs of welding, but also critical workplace life skills. Thank you to Wes Cammon for providing his insight and volunteering his time and to Mrs. VanDyke for organizing his visits.
• Congratulations, also, to the NCHS band and choir on their performances during the Christmas Concert this week. A big thank you to Ms. Grace Majors for all of her hard work and dedication that night along with the weeks and weeks of preparation.
A motion was made by Smith, seconded by Wilbanks, to approve and adopt the district tax levy for funds to be received for the 2018-2019 school year. Ayes: Carroll, McKinney, Dawkins, Adair, Bible, Smith and Wilbanks. Nays: None. Motion carried.
Ed Kirchner, Architect, and Bill Whitlow, Engineer, attended to discuss some of the options for the HVAC project and the potential timeline. Possibilities for the project were discussed and several questions were asked. The project will be put on the January regular meeting for discussion and how to proceed with a possible project.
Ms. Debbie Cox came to the meeting to present her recent mission trip to Africa that the board allowed her to take. She gave a very informative presentation and her attendance was appreciated.
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by, Wilbanks to approve access to safe deposit boxes occupied at Clay County State Bank for Jami Lewis, Tina Gaddy and Monty Aldrich and remove Judy VanDyke. Ayes: Bible, Smith, Dawkins, McKinney, Wilbanks, Carroll and Adair. Nays: None motion carried.
A motion was made by Carroll, seconded by Smith to approve a leave request for Stacey Burkett to use four personal days she has accumulated consecutively on January 23-26, 2018. Ayes: Wilbanks, McKinney, Adair, Bible, Dawkins, Smith and Carroll. Nays: None. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by Carroll, to approve a senior trip on April 6, 2018 to Stanton, MO/St. Louis, MO. Ayes: Dawkins, Wilbanks, Adair, Smith, Bible, Carroll and McKinney. Nays: None. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Adair, seconded by Carroll, to accept the resignation for the purpose of retirement from Karl Meurlot as School District Attorney effective December 31, 2017. Ayes: Bible, Carroll, Adair, Dawkins, McKinney, Smith and Adair. Nays: None. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by Wilbanks, to adopt the following board policy changes for final reading:
a. 2:260 Uniform Grievance Procedure
b. 4:10 Fiscal and Business Management
c. 4:15 Identity Protection
d. 4:80 Accounting and Audits
e. 4:110 Transportation
f. 4:150 Facility Management and Building Programs
g. 4:170 Safety
h. 5:10 Equal Employment Opportunity and Minority Recruitment
i. 5:20 Workplace Harassment Prohibited
j. 5:90 Abused and Neglected Child Reporting
k. 5:100 Staff Development Program
1. 5:200 Terms and Conditions of Employment and Dismissal
m. 5:220 Substitute Teachers
n. 5:240 Suspension
o. 5:250 Leaves of Absence
p. 5:290 Employment Termination and Suspensions
q. 5:330 Sick Days, Vacation, Holiday, and Leaves
r. 6:20 School Year Calendar and Day
s. 6:60 Curriculum Content
t. 6:140 Education of Homeless Children
u. 6:150 Home and Hospital Instruction
v. 6:280 Grading and Promotion
w. 6:300 Graduation Requirements
x. 6:310 High School Credit for Non-District Experiences; Course Substitutions; Re- entering Students
y. 6:340 Student Testing and Assessment Program
z. 7:10 Equal Educational Opportunities
aa. 7:15 Student and Family Privacy Rights
bb. 7:20 Harassment of Students Prohibited
cc. 7:70 Attendance and Truancy
dd. 7:150 Agency and Police Interviews
ee. 7:180 Prevention of and Response to Bullying, Intimidation, and Harassment
ff. 7:190 Student Behavior
gg. 7:250 Student Support Services
hh. 7:260 Exemption from Physical Education
Ayes: Smith, Carroll, Dawkins, Bible, Adair, Wilbanks and McKinney. Nays: None. Motion carried.
The board briefly discussed allegations involving an alleged inappropriate coaches' meeting hosted by a citizen and possible employees and/or board members of the district then tabled for closed session.
A motion was made by Smith, seconded by Carroll, to enter closed session for the purpose of:
a.The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, security, or dismissal of specific employees of the district 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1)
Ayes: McKinney, Bible, Wilbanks, Adair, Smith, Dawkins, Carroll and Smith. Nays: None. Motion carried.
The board met in closed session from 7:56 P.M. to 12:26 p.m.
Dawkins left the meeting at 11:17.
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by Adair, to enter open session. Ayes: Bible, Wilbanks, Smith, Carroll, Adair and McKinney. Nays: None. Motion carried.
Upon returning to open session, the following motions were made:
A motion was made by Adair, seconded by Smith, to hire Bill Hardiek as Volunteer Assistant 5/6 Basketball Coach upon completion of requirements. Ayes: Wilbanks, McKinney, Carroll, Bible, Smith and Adair. Nays: None. Motion carried.
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by Wilbanks, to approve an overnight trip request for Jennifer Iffert and Kim Harrison to attend a workshop in St. Louis, MO March 14-15, 2018. Ayes: Bible, Smith, Adair, Carroll, Wilbanks and McKinney. Nays: None. Motion carried
A motion was made by McKinney, seconded by Wilbanks, to adjourn the meeting. Ayes: McKinney, Wilbanks, Carroll, Adair, Smith and Bible. Nays: None. Motion carried