City of Casey City Council met July 15.
Here is the minutes provided by the council:
On July 15th, 2019 a public hearing was held for the proposed federal funded community development block grant (CDBG) project application for housing rehabilitation/home improvements.
A sign in sheet was supplied and is attached to the back of these minutes. Mayor Nik Groothuis called the hearing to order at 5:30 p.m.
Jackie Galletano of Coles County Regional Planning discussed the following points of the grant:
1. The City of Casey is applying for a CDBG grant for housing rehabilitation to undertake home repairs throughout the city. The selected project area includes the entire city limits.
2. The purpose of this grant is to reduce blight throughout the community and create better neighborhoods that will benefit the community as a whole.
3. The grant is funded by the federal government but administered by the state. The state allocates the funds to various local government units through a competitive application process.
4. This application will apply for approximately $500,000 in CDBG funds to assist at least 9 low-to-moderate income homeowners. The range of activities includes, but is not limited to: roofing, siding, electrical, plumbing, windows, soffit/facia, doors, insulation and addressing code/safety issues. If the repairs exceed the cost limit set by the grant, we would most likely be unable to work on that home.
5. The grant is decided by a points system. Points are awarded in a number of different categories, including: number of surveys returned from the target area, attendance of the public meeting and other factors. Applications are due August 29.
6. There will be no displacement of occupied households as a result of proposed activities. Deciding factors on which homes will be rehabilitated include: need, age (elderly), disabilities and income.
7. 100% of the funds will go to helping low-to-moderate income households in the designated target area.
The council was asked what their prioritized community development needs are and their answer was:
1. Commercial and industrial development and expansion along Rt 49 North
2. Housing rehabilitation grants
3. Roads and sidewalks, especially north along Rt 49.
4. Improved water lines running to the NW part of town (newest CDBG grant)
5. Video of sanitary sewer lines and then possible updates if found necessary
6. Commercial Downtown building demolition/rehabilitation
Question: Are there other similar grants available through CCRP?
Answer: We have several other grants are available, depending on need and location. Contact our housing dept and we can assess what you qualify for.
Question: If we are awarded the grant, when would we know and be able to move forward? Answer: We should know by winter if we got the grant, ready by summer of 2020 to start work.
The City Council will vote on a resolution of support at their regular meeting following this hearing. With no more questions or comments, the Mayor concluded the public hearing @ 6pm.
I certify that the forgoing is a true and accurate summary of the above referenced 2019 CDBG grant application public meeting held at the City of Casey City Hall on July 15, 2019.