Lawrence Public Library Board of Trustees met July 18.
Lawrence Public Library Board of Trustees met July 18.
Here is the minutes provided by the Board:
The Lawrence Public Library Board of Trustees met for its regular monthly meeting. President Mike Neal called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Board members present were: Mike Neal, Cyndi Hays-Morris, John White, Julie Mieure, Janet Faro, and Deanna Ratts-Boyd. Library director Terrie Tucker was present.
Board members absent: Luanne Negley
I. Recognition of Visitors
A. Carol Hutchinson (library assistant), Dianne Brumley (Youth/Programs Director), Joyce Abel (assistant director), Steve Anderson (WAKO), Chrystal Wimberley (Daily Record), Tim King (King's Financial Consultants Inc., and Linda Phillippe.
II. Thank you note
A. Terrie read a thank you note from Community Care Systems of Fairfield, IL, for using the library to conduct interviews.
III. Approval of Minutes
A. John moved, Deanna seconded, to approve the June minutes as presented. Motion passed.
John motioned, Janet seconded to approve the special meeting minutes for the windows project. Motion passed.
II. Financial Report
A. Accountant's Report
1. We are running $7-8,000 in the black for the fiscal year, which ended June 30, 2017.
B. Claims: John motioned, Deanne seconded, role call motion passed.
III. Director's Report
A. Presented by Terrie Tucker
1. The library received $1496.22 from the treasurer's office for the first mobile home distribution.
2. A check for $936.68 was received from the township.
IV. Youth/Programs Director's Report
A. Today was the last day of the summer reading program.
1. 100 attended the end of the program pizza program today.
2. A drawing was held for 10 winners for two tickets each to Holiday World
3. Next year Dianne would like to do more incentives to get library cards—possibly connecting to the school reading program.
V. Unfinished Business
A. Adoption of an Ordinance (Ordinance#17-02), Authorizing the issuance of general obligation (limited tax) debt certificates, Series 2017, to finance facilities for Lawrence Public Library District, Lawrence County, Illinois, and providing the details of such certificates and related matters.
1. Mr. King presented information on the certificates
a. Direct placement with Peoples State Bank
b. Deposit to project fund of $155,000
c. Priced similar to A range yields d. Aggregate all-in rate 3.43%
e. Average annual payments of $34,081 for 5 years
f. Callable at any time—an be prepaid and/or refinanced easily with no penalty
g. Total expenses $5,000 (3.23%)
h. Total cost including all interest $10,406.24
i. Note: total project cost is $205,000 and we will use $50,000 of cash reserve money to reduce the debt to $155,000 j. Closing will be August 1st, 2017—the money will be placed in our building fund account that day.
2. John motioned to approve Ordinance #17-02, Julie seconded the motion. Roll call motion passed.
B. Building Committee Report—John White
1. Tim Leighty has the flagpole repainted. It cost less than anticipated because Tim was able to use a lift the city had for a month.
2. ADG was at the library along with Johannes Construction for a walk-through. Also present was Henderson transfer (who will move the books). The contract was presented (which Mike has reviewed and signed). No order of work has been established yet.
a. Colors need to be picked out for the outside of the windows. This will be done with Johannes and ADG in a building committee meeting. This will be set up once we have the color options available. John feels ADG needs to narrow the color choices for us to choose. Terrie will email the board once a date is established.
C. Personnel Committee Report (Cost of living raises)—Deanne Ratts- Boyd.
1. The committee is recommending a 3% across the board raise (part- ti me and full-time).
a. Part-Time employees would be at the following yearly salary: Carol $8500, Harriett $11,400, Tracey $8,650, and Kevin $10,200
b. Full-time employees would be at the following yearly salary: Terrie $33,874.54, Joyce $28,137.73, Dianne $25,679.08.
2. Deanne motioned, John seconded to accept the 3% across the board raises. Roll call motion passed.
VI. New Business
A. Donation Request
1. A request was made from ALSi for a sm 11 donation for a nomination fee or dominated for an award from Illinois Library Association. 1-1-e-i-s -the-library attorney for state of Illinois. It would be $20 per library
2. Cyndi motioned, Julie seconded to send the donation. Roll call motion passed.
B. New Computer Needs--Windows XP is no longer supported. Old staff computers will replace the Legal Self-Help computer and the On-line catalog computer with the new computers going to the staff side.
1. Quotes: Computer with a DVD drive--$1106.06; Computer without DVD drive--$958.06. The request is for both computers.
2. John motioned to buy the two above computers. Deanne seconded. Roll call motion passed.
VII. Truth In-Taxation Compliance—not required
VIII. Other Business
A. Public Comment: Linda Phillippe works for the Illinois Migrant Education program. There are migrant families living in Mr. K's motel. They don't pay rent or utilities—JMR Farms pays those expenses. They have driver's license, etc. Robinson, Champaign, and Rantoul public libraries issue three-month library cards for the migrant workers. She would like to request that our library do the same. Linda stated she is willing to assist in making sure the items are returned. This would fall under the operations committee. Julie will submit a written proposal to the committee.
1. The operations committee consists of Cyndi, Julie, and Deanna. They will also review the policy manual at the committee meeting for a recommendation to the full board.
IX. Executive Session—not required.