Mattoon City Council meets to approve decision requests, resolutions
The City of Mattoon City Council called a meeting at 6:30 p.m. yesterday, May 17.
Presiding over the Mattoon City Council is the mayor, who acts as the city's CEO. In addition to chairing City Council meetings, he serves as both police and liquor commissioner. Furthermore, the mayor is responsible for the naming the city administrator, city clerk, city attorney and treasurer, pending the approval of the council.
Here are the meeting minutes as provided by the Mattoon City Council:
May 17, 2016
6:30 PM BUSINESS MEETING
Pledge of Allegiance
Items listed on the Consent Agenda are considered to be routine in nature and will be enacted by one motion. No
separate discussion of these items will occur unless a Council Member requests the item to be removed from the
Consent Agenda. If an item is removed from the Consent Agenda, it will be considered elsewhere on the agenda for
this meeting. Prior to asking for a motion to approve the Consent Agenda, the Mayor will ask if anyone desires to
remove an item from the Consent Agenda for public discussion.
1. Minutes of the Regular Meeting May 3, 2016.
2. Bills and Payroll for the first half of May, 2016.
PRESENTATIONS, PETITIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
This portion of the City Council meeting is reserved for persons who desire to address the Council. The Illinois Open
Meetings Act mandates that the City Council may NOT take action on comments received on matters that have not
been identified on this agenda, but the Council may direct staff to address the topic or refer the matter for action on
the agenda for another meeting. Persons addressing the Council are requested to limit their presentations to three
minutes and to avoid repetitious comments. We would ask you to state your name for the record as well as stand when
Public comments/presentations and non-agenda items
Presentation: Acknowledging the retirement of Capt. Brian Hoenes from the Mattoon Fire
Department after more than 26 years of service with the City.
1. Motion – Adopt Special Ordinance No. 2016-1625: Declaring personal property owned by the
municipality surplus and authorizing the sale or disposal of the property. (Gover)
2. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1684: Approving the promotion of Engineer James
Donnell to Captain, effective May 14, 2016. (Hall)
3. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1685: Authorizing the employment of Clinton R.
Lawrence as a probationary police officer with the Mattoon Police Department effective September 25,
4. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1686: Approving a $2,500 grant by the Tourism
Advisory Committee from hotel/motel tax funds to the Coles County Modified Midget Racing Association
for the 60th Anniversary Celebration held July 1 & 2, 2016; and authorizing the Mayor to sign the
5. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1687: Approving a $1,163 grant by the Tourism
Advisory Committee from hotel/motel tax funds to the Lake Mattoon Sailing Association for the Lake
Mattoon Riviera Regatta to be held June 10 - 12, 2016; and authorizing the Mayor to sign the agreement.
6. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1688: Approving a $15,000 grant by the Tourism
Advisory Committee from hotel/motel tax funds to the Mattoon Cobras for four softball tournaments (11th
Annual Mother’s Day Tournament held May 6 - 8, 2016; 2016 USSSA Schools Out Blowout to be held
June 3-5, 2016; 2016 USSSA State Tournament to be held June 17-19, 2016; and 2016 USSSA Fall
Tournament to be held October 8-9, 2016); and authorizing the Mayor to sign the agreement. (Hall)
7. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1689: Approving a $15,000 grant by the Tourism
Advisory Committee from hotel/motel tax funds to the Mattoon Pride Softball for three softball
tournaments (Spring Round Robin Season Opener held April 9 - 10, 2016; Mattoon NSA World Series
Qualifier to be held June 10 -12, 2016 and Mattoon Bagelfest Tournament held July 22 – 24, 2016); and
authorizing the Mayor to sign the agreement. (Hall)
8. Motion – Adopt Resolution No. 2016-2964: Approving a grant application and authorizing City matching
funds of $130,000 for reconstruction, enhancements, and transportation improvements to the Lincoln
Prairie Grass Trail. (Cox) [bike/hike trail – ITEP Grant]
9. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1690: Ratifying the appointment of Greg Ray to the
Mattoon Public Library Board for an unexpired term ending 06/30/16. (Gover)
10. Motion – Approve Council Decision Request 2016-1691: Approving the refinancing of the South Route
45 TIF note with First Mid-Illinois Bank & Trust in order to reduce the interest rate and extend the
annual payments through 2029; and authorize the Mayor to sign the loan agreement. (Owen)
11. Motion – Adopt Resolution No. 2016-2965: Approving an engineering agreement with the Upchurch
Group with a maximum cost not to exceed $49,981.09 for construction engineering assistance for the
Marshall Avenue Reconstruction Project from 6th Street to 9th Street. (Graven) 14-00266-01-PV
12. Motion – Adopt Resolution No. 2016-2966: Appropriating $50,000 of Motor Fuel Tax Funds for
construction engineering assistance with the reconstruction of Marshall Avenue from 6th Street to 9th
Street. (Graven) (14-00266-01-PV)
CITY ADMINISTRATOR/ COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
ARTS AND TOURISM
COMMENTS BY THE COUNCIL
Recessed to closed session pursuant to the Illinois Open Meetings Act for the purpose of discussing collective negotiating matters between the City of Mattoon and its employees or their representatives, or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees (5ILCS/20 (2)(C)(2)).