Cumberland CUSD board congratulates football team on conference championship
The Cumberland Community Unified School District 77 Board of Education met Oct. 20 to congratulate the football team on its conference championship.
Here are the meeting's minutes, as provided by the district:
Cumberland CUSD #77
October 20, 2016
The meeting was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by President Jack Ingram. Board members present included Ben Bland, Steve Layton, Bob Blade, Anita Hayden, and Pam Ross, and Administration Todd Butler, Superintendent; Kevin Maynard, High School Principal and Daniel Huffman, Elementary Principal.
President Ingram recognized members of the audience. Those present were Sherry Parker and Roy Clapp.
President Ingram reviewed the Consent Agenda items:
a. Approval of the minutes- Regular meeting 9/22/16, Finance Committee 10/03/16,
Policy Committee 10/03/16 and Curriculum Committee 10/03/16.
b. Review financial and budget reports
c. Approve current invoices for payment
d. Approve the Substitute List
It was moved by Steve Layton and seconded by Bob Blade to approve the Consent Agenda A-D. All members voted “Aye”.
Jack Ingram informed the Board that a tentative agreement has been reached with the Educational Support Personnel. He also stated that a special Board meeting would need to be scheduled, possibly on Thursday October 27, 2016 at 6:00.
Bob Blade spoke about the research that he conducted regarding the topic of recess in the elementary grades. He presented the board with additional research looking at the pros and cons of having additional recess to improve academic performance. He feels very strongly that the teachers and administrators need to look at adding additional recesses to improve academic performance. His research will be sent to the teachers electronically to review his findings. He also reiterated what the curriculum committee stated, that the board is understanding of the academic pressures placed upon the teachers by the state.
High School Board Report submitted by Kevin Maynard
1. Congratulations to Nicole Thomas, Sierra Starwalt, Drew Warner, Tyler Starwalt, Kaitlyn Warner and Mrs. Starwalt. This group of students represents the Cumberland High School Eco team that finished in sixth place at the Lake Shelbyville Eco meet on October 6th
2. I want to thank and congratulate the High School Student Council for providing the student body with a fun and exciting week of Homecoming activities. A fun and enjoyable time was had by all.
3. Thank you to all the parents who participated in Parent/Teacher Conferences on October 17th and 18th.
4. The High School participated in the PSAT exam on October 19th.
5. There is no school on October 21st.
6. First quarter report cards go out on October 27th.
7. Fall choir and band concert will be on November 3rd starting at 6:30 in the high school gym. 12:09 dismissal will take place on November 9th for teacher institute.
8. November 17th will mark the midpoint of the second quarter.
9. The Cumberland choir will participate in the Youth in Harmony Barbershop Festival at EIU on
1. Congratulations to the players and coaches of the volleyball team on their second place finish in the LOVC southeast division tournament. The team finished in fourth place overall in the LOVC tournament.
2. The football team will be wrapping up the regular season with a road game on October 21st at Argenta. Playoff pairings will be announced on Saturday October 22nd.
3. The cross country team will run at the Regional meet in Robinson on October 22nd starting at 10:45 with the girl’s race. Good luck to all the runners and coaches of the cross country team as you start the postseason.
4. The high school girls’ basketball team will have its first game on Tuesday, November 15th at Charleston starting at 6:00.
5. Congratulations to Brock Rawlings and Alexis Wood. These students have been chosen to the Illinois Music Educator's All-district festival. Brock was chosen in Jazz band and Alexis in concert band.
6. Congratulations to the High School Football team for winning the LOVC Southeast division conference title. By winning the conference division they have automatically qualified for the IHSA playoffs.
Middle School Board Report submitted by Stacy Keyser
1. Congrats to Mrs. Sarah Brown and the 7th/8th grade Eco team on their first place win at the Douglas Heart Eco Meet on Thursday, October 6. They had the highest score of sixteen teams. Team members were: MaKeegan Sparling, Madison Walsh, Lindsey Zike, and Claire Jackson. Special thanks to Mrs. Marilyn Scott for helping to coach the team.
2. Congrats to the 5th/6th grade Eco team members who will compete in an Eco Meet on November 16. Team members are: Rachel Starwalt, Austen Scott, Mashayla Burson, and Ellere Repp.
3. Mrs. Traci Becker presented at the recent EIU Writing Workshop on Friday, October 14. She led a session at this national conference due to her exemplary work in and outside of the English classroom.
4. Rayce Zike and Jasmyn Dittamore represented our school and cross country team at the IESA Class 2A state cross country meet on Saturday, October 15 at Bloomington. Congratulations to Jasmyn on placing 33rd out of 232 girls and Rayce for placing 55th out of 238 boys at the IESA Class 2A state cross country meet. They both also ran personal best times.
5. The eighth grade class, teachers, and chaperones attended the annual field trip to Springfield on Friday, October 14. Sites visited were the Illinois New State Capitol, the Old State Capitol, Lincoln’s Tomb and the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum.
6. Congrats to the following middle school choir students who were chosen to participate in the Illinois Music Educators Association Festival on November 19 at EIU based on an audition they performed on Columbus Day: Jaykob Archer, Mason Brockett, Claire Jackson, Katie Marshall, Larissa Wellbaum, and Charlee Wood.
7. Musical auditions for the upcoming spring musical, The Lion King, Junior, will be held on Thursday, November 10 from 3:30-6:00 p.m. in Mrs. Boger’s classroom at the grade school. Rehearsal will not begin until January, but 2nd through 12th graders are invited to audition and once cast, will receive scripts to study during November and December prior to rehearsals. Audition packets will be given out from the high school and grade/middle school offices. Please see Mrs. Keyser with questions or concerns.
8. The district will be hosting our annual Veterans Day assembly on Friday, November 11 at 9:00 a.m. in the high school gymnasium. Notices and other information will be distributed to the public in the local newspapers, sent home with students, and on the school Facebook page. Please contact Mrs. Keyser or Mr. Huffman at 923-3135 with questions about this event.
9. Thank you to the parents and guardians who took time in their busy schedules to have a parent teacher conference on Monday, October 17 or Tuesday, October 18. Your partnership with us in your child’s education is so important and we are thankful for your involvement.
10. Girls basketball records thus far are 5-4 for the 7th grade team and 2-5 for the 8th grade
team. Last year at this time, the girls were still waiting on a win. These girls are showing
great progress and are fun to watch.
Elementary Board Report submitted by Daniel Huffman
1. Mrs. Nelson and Mrs. Waller took their classes to Grissom’s Apple Orchard on September 30th. The students had a great time. Thank you to Grissom’s Apple Orchard for hosting a great experience for the students.
2. The Kindergarten classes took a field trip to Greenup on October 14th. Stacy Carl arranged to have the students visit several places in Greenup including the Fire Station, Historical Society Museum, Library, and Carl’s Pizza. During the stop at Carl’s Pizza the students made their own pizza. We all appreciate the time, effort and money that Stacy Carl put into planning the special trip for our students.
3. We had 6 teachers attend the Illinois Reading Council Conference in Peoria on September 29th and 30th. Mrs. Clark, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Sandschafer, Mrs. Pals, Mrs. Yocum and Mrs. Carlen attended and had a great experience. They will be sharing the knowledge that they gained at a teacher’s meeting in the near future.
4. The grade school had its first scheduled fire drill on September 23rd. Everything went well as planned.
5. Halloween parties for Kindergarten - 4th grade will be held on October 31st from 2:30-3:10 p.m. I would like to remind party helpers to not arrive before 2:15 p.m. so that learning time is not interrupted. The front circle drive and bus lanes will be blocked for parent pick-up and dismissal, but there will be plenty of parking in the back lot by the gyms.
6. Parent/Teacher Conferences were held on Monday, October 17 from 4:00-6:30 p.m. and Tuesday, October 18th from 4:00-6:30 p.m. We had 178 students’ parents/guardians attend a conference. We did not have school on October 21st to account for the longer working day due to the conferences.
7. The end of the 1st quarter will be October 20th. Report cards will be issued on October 27th.
8. Students that did not have any major office referrals at midterm of the 1st quarter got to play PLINKO and earn prizes during their weekly computer class the last week in September.
9. We had a Teacher’s Institute on October 7th. The teachers worked on the state mandated training videos and assessments.
10. Jeff Schrock will be returning again this year with his Bench Worx program for 3rd-5th grade students. The dates that he will have his program are October 17th, 24th, and November 7th and 14th. For more information you may call Jeff at 217-849-3375.
11. The end of the quarter PBIS celebration will be held on October 28th. Students that have not had any major office referrals will get to play BINGO with their class.
12. Picture retakes will be November 16th.
13. November 9th will be a 12:20 p.m. dismissal day with a Teachers’ Institute that afternoon. We have scheduled presentations about guided and close reading by Eastern Illinois University faculty.
14. Thank you to the hard working teachers, staff, and substitutes that are doing an awesome job educating our students. We had an awesome 1st quarter due to the teamwork and dedication that everyone is exhibiting.
Mr. Butler stated that he appreciated all the time and effort the teachers put into Parent-Teacher conferences.
Pam Ross made the motion to approve the Cross Country field trip on November 4 and 5, 2016 to the IHSA State Race held in Peoria, Illinois. It was seconded by Anita Hayden, all present voted “Aye”.
Bob Blade made the motion to approve the first reading of policies 2:70, 6:100, 7:270, 9:90, 8:110 and 4:172 as recommended by the Policy Committee. It was seconded by Pam Ross, all present voted “Aye”.
Steve Layton made the motion to accept the FY 16 Annual Auditor's Report, as recommended by the Finance Committee. It was seconded by Anita Hayden, all present voted “Aye”.
Steve Layton made the motion to approve the propane purchasing contract with FS for the months of November 2016 through March 2017 at a price of $1.14 per gallon. It was seconded by Ben Bland, all present voted “Aye”.
Anita Hayden made the motion to accept Cole Carlen’s resignation as a HS assistant basketball coach effective immediately, with Jaton McMechan and Tyler Piatkowski each receiving 50% percent of the contracted HS boys assistant basketball stipend. It was seconded by Bob Blade. All present voted “Aye”.
Steve Layton made the motion to accept Racine Stewart’s resignation as a GS cook effective October 7, 2016. It was seconded by Anita Hayden, all present voted “Aye”.
Pam Ross made the motion to accept the resignation of Jodi Higgs as a GS cook effective October 7, 2016. It was seconded by Bob Blade, all present voted “Aye”.
Steve Layton made the motion to post the position of GS cook (2). It was seconded by Ben Bland, all present voted “Aye”.
Anita Hayden made the motion to post the position of GS classroom aide. It was seconded by Pam Ross, all present voted “Aye”.
Steve Layton made the motion to adjourn. It was seconded by Ben Bland. All present voted “Aye”. The meeting adjourned at 6:45 p.m.
Respectfully submitted this day _______________________________.
Jack Ingram, President Steve Layton, Secretary
Organizations in this Story
1496 Illinois Route 121
Toledo, IL 62468